You are here

What is a Intervention Order Lawyers?

Intervention Order Lawyers are designed to protect people from abusive behavior by setting forth specific guidelines called conditions that must be fulfilled by those named in an order. An intervention order may be issued against anyone you fear, such as your spouse or de facto partner, intimate partner, domestic partner, relative, child (biological or step) and stepchildren. Should they breach any conditions of the order they could face criminal prosecution. What is an intervention order? family violence intervention order (and personal safety intervention orders) are court-issued legal orders designed to safeguard people from abusive or other forms of threatening behavior. Such orders can legally prohibit contact between an aggressor and his/her target (including communication on social media) as well as restrict their movements within certain distance of where their target lives or works. An intervention order can only be granted if a victim believes that their safety and/or that of their children are at risk from the behavior of an aggressor - this may include any partner, child, parent, relative, neighbour, co-worker or stranger. Intervention orders are civil proceedings and thus do not appear on criminal records, yet if it is claimed that an aggressor violated an intervention order the police can charge them with breaking it; this is because proof must be presented "beyond reasonable doubt". How do I apply for an intervention order? An intervention order may be obtained by visiting either your local police station, or court appearance for another matter (such as child protection proceedings). When applying, a registrar will assist in filling out an application form and conduct an interview regarding why protection is necessary. Evidence to support your request should include photographs, recordings, medical records, witness statements, emails or texts messages - you could even include a police report as part of this document. The registrar will compile a summary of your application, which they call your "application summary." They will tell you if they can issue an interim order that will protect you immediately in your absence, with conditions attached that dictate what should happen next; once served upon respondent (usually by police officer), this order becomes immediately effective and effective protection can begin being offered to you. What happens at a contested hearing? Once you submit your petition, a judge may sign an official court paper called a temporary order of protection that tells those involved to stop harming or threatening you and to stay out of your home in any event. It also prohibits them from entering under any circumstance. A date will be set within 30 days for you to return to court to determine if a final order of protection will be granted. Both you and the person against whom you made application (respondent) must attend this hearing before it can take effect. At a contested hearing, you will have an opportunity to present evidence about why you require an order, and the Judge will consider all the evidence before rendering their verdict. They could either vary (change its conditions), cancel or leave as is. If any party breaches any conditions of their order they can be charged with criminal offences. What happens if the respondent breaks the order? Respondents (the people to whom an order has been filed against) must comply with any orders from a court. If someone appears to be violating one, you should call police or visit a nearby station immediately - police will follow set procedures to locate and serve an interim order against them. As soon as a judge issues their final intervention order, it will remain in place until legally altered or cancelled by a magistrate. These orders typically include conditions to prevent family violence; however they can also address other forms of harm such as stalking, sexual assault and workplace violence. If you are the petitioner or respondent in a family offense matter, and are being charged with an offense by either your spouse, then you may qualify for legal representation through Women's Domestic Violence Court Assistance Service (WDVCAS). Ask the judge at your contested hearing if an attorney will be provided to assist or contact WDVCAS directly to see if one will be provided to you for free.